Installing b2evolution from scratch
To install b2evolution you need a PHP/MySQL web server (see requirements). Renting a fast server from a reputable hosting company is getting cheaper every day. Check out our recommended hosting offers.
Before you begin, please note that some network features of b2evolution require you to agree our simple Terms of service.
Once you have unzipped the b2evolution distribution on your local computer:
- On your server, try to create a new (empty) MySQL database for b2evolution (For example, you can call it "b2evolution". The exact procedure to create a new database depends on your host/server setup. Alternatively, you can also use an existing database which b2evolution will share with existing applications.)
Note: b2evolution will create about 25 tables in the database you select. Unless you changed the config, all these tables' names will be prefixed with evo_ . Unless you already have an application using the same prefix, this makes it safe to install b2evolution in a database shared with other applications. Your existing tables will not be affected in any way.
- Upload the b2evolution files to your website.
Note: Only the contents of the
/blogs directory need to be uploaded to your site. If you want b2evolution to handle the homepage of your site, upload the contents of the
/blogs folder to your website root. Otherwise, it's best to upload the files to a subdirectory of your webserver. You can keep the
/blogs subdirectory name, but you can also choose another.
- Run the installation script on your server. Go to the following address in your web borwser
http://yoursite.com/yourfolder/install/index.php (replace yoursite.com and yourfolder depending on where you installed). Then, simply follow the on screen instructions.
The installer will ask you a few questions, create required database tables and configure b2evolution for you.
- Check to make sure the new installation works.
- On production servers, it is recommended that you delete the
- After basic install is done, there are a few tricky things you may need to take care of (online manual).